Thursday, July 7, 2011

Echoes of Hugh Ross?

I am trying to write a final exam this week for the "Astronomy and Design" course for Reasons Institute. (Anyone want to help me? I'm feeling woefully uninspired at the moment.) In the course of doing that, I came across this lecture by Jason Lisle from Answers in Genesis, entitled "Creation Astronomy." Fast-forward to about 12:34 minutes into it. Does any of this sound familiar?


Frankly, I was a little surprised. And confused. For example, Lisle and Ken Ham were quite critical of Hugh Ross' promotion of biblical poetry as offering additional information about the creation (what Hugh calls "creation accounts") in the Ankerberg debate (and other places). Yet, Lisle uses some similar arguments, and even some of the same Bible verses, that Hugh does.

Here is a summary of the points Lisle makes. Note how many of these use poetry.
  • The Bible is not an astronomy textbook, but where it touches on astronomy, it's factually correct.
  • The Bible talks about the Earth being round (Is. 40:22; Job 26:10).
  • The Earth hangs in space (Job 26:7).
  • The universe is expanding (Is. 40:22). [This section was especially surprising to me.]
  • God finished His creation work on Day 7 (Gen. 2:2).
  • The universe is aging and wearing out.
  • The second law of thermodynamics is not a consequence of the Fall. It was there from the beginning of creation, in fact we were designed around it. Life requires the second law of thermodynamics.
Anyone else surprised by this? Or should I have expected this?

Now, this clip didn't surprise me as much as the first, but I do still find it very interesting since Hugh Ross has done so much pioneering work in this area for Christian apologetics. Fast forward to 8:20 where Lisle talks about extra-solar planets. That's followed by a discussion about ETs.

2 comments:

Dave Lauer said...

Krista,
I am an old-earther and a supporter of RTB. I am wondering if the scientists at AiG attempt to make scientific arguments for a young universe in the presence of Hugh Ross or any of the scientists at RTB. I was at the forum on the age of the universe in Fullerton five years ago and I do not recall scientific arguments for a young universe, of the kind Jason Lisle makes in these videos, being made there. Of course, I could very well be mistaken. What do you think? It is one thing to make scientific claims to "average Joes" and another thing to do it in front of other scientists. Thanks.

Virginia Peterson said...

I've noticed for awhile that AiG seem to be adopting some of the same arguments as RTB. That the 2nd law of thermodynamics began at the fall is on their list of arguments that shouldn't be used. I've wondered about those verses used to say that the earth is round - wouldn't the people of the time be more likely to be thinking about the circle of the horizon, rather than a globe in space?