Sunday, June 5, 2011

Name-Calling?

Today the Answers in Genesis web site is highlighting a 2008 article by Ken Ham entitled, "Evolving Tactics." I'm linking to it so you can read it in its entirety and in context. This section, in particular, caught my attention.
Resorting to such name-calling not only shows that this issue strikes at deep spiritual problems, but that those who can’t prove their position by logic or science are driven by emotion. We can expect such name-calling to increase as secularists become more frustrated in not being able to refute the powerful truth that “the Creator is clearly seen” and “in the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.

We need to remember what God said in Proverbs 21:24: “A proud and haughty man—‘Scoffer’ is his name; he acts with arrogant pride.” In contrast, God expects His people to take the higher ground, to earn a reputation for kind and gentle words, as we speak “the truth in love.” The theme verse of my life and Answers in Genesis includes every Christian’s duty to give answers “with meekness”:

“But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear” (1 Peter 3:15)."
I completely agree that God wants His people to strive to give "kind and gentle words" as we speak the truth in love. Christians ought to be characterized by meekness. I guess the only thing I would add is that I believe God expects this standard of behavior in how we act toward unbelievers and believers. We don't have to agree, but a healthy dose of Christian charity toward one another would be nice.

2 comments:

hippimama said...

Wow, that's amazingly ironic.

Simply Taunya said...

Gotta love the irony. I wish both sides would stop name-calling. It was the first thing I learned in my critical writing class. You don't make it personal.