Monday, June 13, 2011

Biblical Teaching on Divorce, part 3

Read part 1 and part 2 here.

Is. 50:1–3 (NIV)
This is what the LORD says [to Israel]:

“Where is your mother’s certificate of divorce (lit. “divorcement”) with which I sent her away?

Or to which of my creditors did I sell you?

Because of your sins you were sold; because of your transgressions your mother was sent away.

Jer. 3:8 (NIV)
I gave faithless Israel her certificate of divorce (lit. “divorcement”) and sent her away because of all her adulteries. Yet I saw that her unfaithful sister Judah had no fear; she also went out and committed adultery.

What can we learn from this?

PRINCIPLE #5:
God gave Israel a certificate of divorce. In other words, He dissolved their marriage covenant because of their unfaithfulness (adultery). So in a sense, even God has gone through the pain of a divorce.