Friday, May 27, 2011

Historical Adam in Christianity Today

I just finished reading the cover story for the latest issue of Christianity Today: "The Search for the Historical Adam." It does a good job of talking to all the major players and explaining the core issues of the controversy. Unfortunately, I don't think it's available online so I can't link to it. So you'll have to see it the old-fashioned way and visit your local Christian bookstore. Or maybe wait and see if it eventually shows up on the web.

My only semi-negative comment is the cover. This artist's rendition looks like a Neanderthal/Homo sapiens sapiens cross-breed. Just my opinion. Nothing deeply scientific about that statement.

Hopefully by now you already know my opinion on this issue. I believe in a historical Adam. That's not to say that I don't recognize that there are certain scientific tensions involved in holding this position. But I'm not ready to throw it out yet. I think we are still in the embryonic stages of this discussion and it's far too important to make any hasty moves right now.

Christianity Today has also posted a small group discussion guide about the historical Adam that some might find helpful.

No comments: