Monday, August 9, 2010

Question: Kids Book on Dinosaurs

M. Goure asks:
My 10 yr old wants to know what happened to the dinosaurs and if they were on Noah's Ark. Please help! All I can find so far for a Christian perspective is Ken Ham's book "Dinosaurs for Kids". But he states on pg. 11 "And though the majority of people today might believe that dinosaurs lived millions of years ago, the majority are wrong on this." He also states on pg. 14 "I (and many scientists I know) do not believe in the so-called 'age of dinosaurs'. And we certainly don't believe dinosaurs lived millions of years ago."
First of all, hurray for your 10-year old. That kind of curiosity is awesome. I hope you'll keep encouraging it. Actually, that's the best advice I can give: don't stand in his way. In my experience, if you just let a kid explore a topic on their own, he'll stay much more engaged than if you're trying to coax him along.

That being said, you have come across a real issue here. One that I wish had a better solution. But here is what I can say.

My friend, Michael Carrol, has written a book on dinosaurs that is much more friendly to the old-earth creation perspective. And probably just about right for a 10-year old. Unfortunately, it's out of print. But used copies are generally available on amazon.

Dinosaurs!

Second, here is a recommendation from my daughter, who is 11 of her favorite book on dinosaurs. She wants to be a paleontologist when she grows up.

"The Best Dinosaur Encyclopedia Ever...According to a 10-Year Old"

Along these lines, this might be a good time to (re)read my position concerning the importance of teaching/discussing evolution with kids: "5 Reasons Why I Think Christian Schools/Parents Should Teach Evolution."

Finally, my daughter and I recorded a podcast on dinosaurs where we tackle the whole Noah's ark issue. I have been lax about posting the rest of the series but I'll try to get to it in the next day or two. Your note gives me some motivation. Just visit iTunes and type in "Theology Mom" and you'll see my page.

Hope that at least gives you some places to start.

UPDATE (8/10/10): Ok, I have now posted episodes 3 and 4 of my series on "Dinosaurs and the Bible." It should show up on iTunes in a few hours.

No comments: