Friday, December 4, 2009

Technology Fast


Beginning TONIGHT night, our family is joining a local youth group in a "technology fast." Basically, we're choosing to abstain from electronic entertainment for one week.

- No Facebook (ouch!)
- No computer games
- No television
- No radio
- No iPods
- No texting (unless it's an emergency)

Why are we doing this? In an age of technology, it's frequently hard to slow our minds down long enough to engage in developing them for the glory of God. I also think technology causes us to forget in some ways what it means to be human.

So, I'd like to invite you to join our family in a technology fast. I have posted some ideas for books to read on my "Theology Mom" Facebook Fan page (see right). The first couple days will be the hardest. But report back on what you've experienced and learned. It might just change your life.

2 comments:

Breezy Point Mom said...

Wonderful idea! I hope and pray that all who participate realize new things about themselves and the potential of living sans e-technology(at least temporarily). The days I ban myself from going online are often the most FREE days of my life. Wishing you the best!

Virginia Peterson said...

Oh dear, I would have a hard time with this. I'm reading all the time anyway, so most of my media use (via mp3 player) is while I'm doing other things, like cooking and laundry. And it's Christian music or often podcasts like RTB's :) Everything takes discipline though - it's easier to read fiction than something more brain-challenging.