Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Resource: Here Comes Science

My daughters received the new They Might Be Giants CD entitled, "Here Comes Science" for Christmas. They have been thoroughly enjoying it. The catchy tunes introduce a wide range of science topics. The best analogy I can think of is School House Rock. And, most of the songs aren't super annoying like most children's albums so I can actually listen to this CD and not feel like I want to pull my hair out, which is a BIG bonus for me as a parent. The package also includes a DVD of music videos for a number of the songs. The girls enjoyed that as well.

Now, there are a couple words of caution here.

In the opening track, "Science is Real," there is a brief comparison of angels with unicorns and elves.
I like the stories
About angels, unicorns and elves
Now I like those stories
As much as anybody else
But when I'm seeking knowledge
Either simple or abstract
The facts are with science.
This somewhat gives the impression that religious things, like angels, are not real or factual. But I do want to make it clear that this is only a fleeting reference

A bigger concern for some will be the track, "My Brother the Ape." Obviously, this is a song about biological evolution (common descent). I just told the girls to skip that track and they seem perfectly fine with that. I didn't make a big deal about it.

In my opinion, neither of these issues provides a strong enough reason to miss out on the rest of the fun of this CD. You can listen to some samples on the amazon product page. See what you think.

No comments: