Friday, November 6, 2009

Question: Old-Earth Dinosaur Books

Question from Karla:
I have recently started homeschooling my three 5 year olds. We will soon be covering a week's worth of dinosaurs. The curriculum (My Father's World) comes from the Young Earth perspective, therefore suggesting Answers in Genesis books, such as What Really Happened to the Dinosaurs?. Can you suggest any Old Earth books for 5-7 year olds that take on the topic of dinosaurs?
Sadly, there is really only about one option. Unfortunately, it's out of print. But if you can find it, it's about the only game in town.

Dinosaurs! by Michael Carroll

Our family has also enjoyed the Kingfisher Illustrated Dinosaur Encyclopedia. Even though it's written from a secular perspective and contains a few references to evolution, the science is correct. Personally, I've found that I prefer to use books with a few references to evolution than young-earth books. I feel like it's much easier to tell a kid to simply substitute "design" for evolution than trying to untangle young-earth errors. But maybe that's just me.

3 comments:

Jaime said...

We got this book even though it was out of print and really enjoyed reading it together. It was a great book!

Anonymous said...

Jaime:

Glad it was helpful.

james said...

Thanks a lot for a bunch of good tips. I look forward to reading more on the topic in the future. Keep up the good work! This blog is going to be great resource. Love reading it.
................................
essay term paper-Essay Writing Help