Friday, July 31, 2009

Ancient Bone Flute

This discovery was announced while I was packing for vacation. I'm just now getting around to posting it.

Bone Flute Found in Cave Is World's Oldest Instrument

A bird-bone flute unearthed in a German cave was carved some 35,000 years ago and is the oldest handcrafted musical instrument yet discovered, archaeologists say, offering the latest evidence that early modern humans in Europe had established a complex and creative culture.
Dr. Fuz Rana from Reasons To Believe recorded a podcast giving his perspective on this discovery and how it fits within an old-earth creation model context.

I was reminded once again while I was on vacation how critically important these kinds of issues are. My 10-year old got into a very interesting discussion with her cousin (of the same age) on the way back from the Oregon coast. They talked for almost an hour, while my niece peppered my daughter with all kinds of questions about origins - everything from the first plants to Neanderthals. She is like so many Christian kids: she has a bunch of disconnected bits and pieces of information about the Bible in her head and another set of disconnected bit and pieces of information about science and she has no idea how to make these issues come together. Yet, the questions were all there, just lurking under the surface. Once my daughter opened the door to the topic, the questions flooded out.

And remember, these are 10-year old girls...

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Sounds a lot like myself at a young age, your niece that is. When my husband and I discuss these things in front of, or with family, it inevitably comes around to them simply backing down and saying,

"So what? All that really matters is that we're fallen and sanctified through Christ. All of this is just creating a divided spirit among Christians."

It's hard to help them understand how confused and lost our children feel when they can't put all these pieces together and make sense out of what they hear from their friends, schools and churches.