Thursday, March 26, 2009

Old-Earth Friendly Comments on Moody Radio

Bryan Litfin, associate professor of theology at Moody Bible Institute, made some old-earth creation friendly comments on the Prime Time America program on the Moody radio network this week (March 24).

Here is a link to a transcript of the radio segment. I strongly encourage you to read it in its entirety. This is just one excerpt:
"Defending six-day creationism is not the lynchpin of faithful Christianity…But when it comes to the unbelieving world, it’s time to stop attacking science as some massive demonic conspiracy, and stop attacking scientists as godless reprobates. Instead, it’s time for Christians to embrace the scientific enterprise, and engage unsaved scientists in serious debate and charitable apologetics.”
In the interest of fairness, I want to point out Answers in Genesis' response on their blog:

"I Had a Dream" (March 25, 2009)

"Moody Theology Professor Promotes Long Ages and “Bashes” The Creation Museum" (March 26, 2009)

Even more than Liftin's comments regarding the age of the earth, however, I really appreciated his exhortation that Christians stop attacking the scientific establishment. I couldn't agree more!

If you're so inclined, please consider sending our friends at Moody radio and Professor Litfin a note of support.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, both you and Prof Litfin don't get it.

There is no curse for sin if you have billions of years. With no curse for sin, no need for a Savior. Genesis IS the Gospel!

Why not take the word of the One who was there?

I think Jesus said it best in John 18:37-38 For this I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth.

And according to Matt. 19:4; He did not believe in billions of years.

I pray that you see that the Truth of the Gospel begins in Genesis.
If you don't take the first eleven chapters of Genesis as truth, tell me which page you turn to start believing the Bible?

Anonymous said...

Ok, normally, I don't allow the kinds of comments above. But I've decided to make an exception here, if for no other reason than to show the kind of theological reasoning that young-earth creationists engage in.

Mr. Anonymous, don't you think it's just a little disrespectful to Prof. Liftin and I as your brother and sister in Christ to say that we just "don't get it"? I can't speak for Prof. Liftin, but I know that I have spent a decade in seminary of formal education and another decade at Reasons To Believe studying old-earth creationism in particular. It's not like I reached these conclusions in five minutes. It's been the result of many, many years of arduous study, reading thousands of pages from a variety of sources, and engaging the original languages.

I don't know how to make this any plainer - I believe the Bible is real history starting at the very first verse. I have an article stating this in a peer-reviewed journal that clearly states this.

That's it. Comments closed.

Anonymous said...

I am not sure why billions of years must mean there is no curse for sin. Yes, the curse for sin is death, but what does that mean? Why does it have to include animal death? The Bible is telling the story of what happens to Man. When Adam sinned in the Garden, he introduced mortality to the human race. The Bible isn't commenting on whether or not bunny rabbits died before or after Adam's fall.

Mr. Anonymous really does exemplify what I hear so often from the six day creationist camp: accusations of infidelity to God and his Word against believing brothers and sisters who interpret the Scriptures differently than they do.

I promise you, I believe every word of Scripture in inspired and without error in the original texts. Otherwise I would not be teaching at Moody.

Bryan Litfin

Anonymous said...

Ok, Prof. Liftin gets a special posting dispensation. =)

Makes my day to think a Moody prof actually read one of my blog posts. Blessings, brother.

Kevin N said...

I am happy to see Moody Radio allowing an old-Earth viewpoint to be expressed. A variety of old-Earth interpretations are consistent with Scriptures, and these do not lead to compromise on the gospel in any way.

Like most old-Earth creationists I know (and even many theistic evolutionists) I believe in the inerrancy of Scriptures, a real creation, a real Adam, a real fall into sin, a real consequence of that fall (death, at least for humans, which is all that the Scriptures explicitly say), and in Jesus Christ as the only solution for that sin and death.