Friday, March 27, 2009

Earth Science Lesson Plans

I had a little extra money left in my charter school account that I needed to use up before the state took it back. So I took a risk and bought a little booklet called Earth Science Lesson Plans by Catherine Kinslow. I have no clue who this woman is or what kind of worldview persuasion she is from, but she doesn't appear to be promoting young-earth creationism.

Basically, this is a glorified reading schedule. There are 18 books plus a couple sets of rocks that need to be acquired in order to do the curriculum. That's the cumbersome (and expensive) part. You'd have to go on amazon (or some other vendor of your choice) and chase down 18 books. Some are out of print, but I was able to find them all except one on amazon from third-party resellers. Even if you can't find a couple of the books or they're too expensive, this program will probably still work.

Kinslow has assembled 43 "lessons" which basically consist of a short reading list of designated pages centered on a particular theme, such as "sedimentary rocks" or "plate tectonics." Most of the lessons include some kind of activity as well.

This is clearly geared for elementary age students, probably grades 3 and up. I don't think I'll actually use this system (largely because I've already kluged together my own geology curriculum this year and the term is almost over), but I just thought I'd make y'all aware of it since the need is so great.

So there you go - Earth science, no young-earth flood geology, for elementary students. Yep, that pretty much covers it.

No comments: