Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Resolutions for the Mind

I'm not a big fan of New Year's resolutions. But my friend Ken Samples has a great post today on the Today's New Reasons To Believe blog.

"Resolutions for the Mind - 2009"

This ties in to a discussion I had this morning with our five-year old. As she was cleaning up after school, she said, "Mommy, I like school. It's fun to learn stuff." I wish more Christians felt that way. It makes me sad that so many believe "book smarts" is somehow in conflict with spiritual maturity.

This got me to thinking - What "New Year's Resolutions" can we make with our kids about school? I challenged our nine-year old last year to set a goal of reading one "real" book a month. She could read other "fluff" books too (Can she ever get enough "Star Wars" novels?), but I didn't want her to skip the good stuff. She has really risen to the occasion. So I'll encourage her to keep that up this year.

Now is probably a good time to talk to her again about what goals she would like to set for the coming year. I won't have many more years left with her to teach her the value and skill of goal-setting. And intellectual goals are just as important as others.

No comments: