Thursday, January 22, 2009

Question: Curriculum Options

Question from Iwona, a Homeschool Mom:
I have 3 kids, ages 6, 9, 11. I have used Apologia Elementary Astronomy and Botany books. These take young earth approach, but they are so well written for this age group that I decided to use them anyway, and just explaining problematic issues as we go. What would you recommend for the elementary and Jr. High science? Thanks.
This is without a doubt THE #1 question I get: Which homeschool curriculum is compatible with an old-earth creation perspective? That's why I have created an area in the sidebar below labeled: "Old-Earth Compatible Curricula & Media." This will give you the most complete list of what's available (or at least what I've been able to dig up). Most of the choices are neutral on religious issues, with the exception of the "Christian Schools International" curriculum (NOTE: This is not the same as ACSI. Different organization.) and the "Bigger Picture" study guide.

I have full reviews of many of the curricula listed in the sidebar in my education handbook, "Teaching Science from a Christian Worldview" available through Reasons To Believe. God-willing, I'll be writing an update to the handbook sometime in 2009, once my high school curriculum is released in May (again, God-willing).

Other options that I haven't yet had time to research include science curricula written by Catholic publishers. The Catholic church, in general, endorses theistic evolution so young-earth creationism won't likely be an issue. And depending on what your feelings are concerning evolution, this may or may not be a concern for you.

Hope that helps.

2 comments:

iwka said...

Thank you. That's very helpful. I cam start my own digging and learning right away. I will check your blog for updates in that subject (specially if you would find something alongside theistic evolution).

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I found your blog! I am currently shopping for homeschool curriculum for next year and while I generally like kits like My Father's World, they are all young earth based when it comes to science. I want my children to have a balance between what the world teaches and what our Father teaches; in my belief, old earth creationism is just that. While we don't argue about it (yet...) my husband leans toward a youn earth persective, so I am planning on presenting both as theories, from which my children can prayerfully choose for themselves what they believe.