Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Collins to Step Down

Dr. Francis Collins, who helped lead the sequencing of the human gene map, announced last Wednesday he was stepping down as director of the U.S. National Human Genome Research Institute in order to pursue writing and other opportunities.

Genome institute director Collins to resign

I have to say that I am very sad to hear this news. Dr. Collins is arguably the most powerful Christian within the scientific community. And to have someone of that character at the spearhead of such an important project has been divine Providence. Collins' book, The Language of God, is possibly the most high profile book from a Christian research scientist since Galileo. (Ok, so maybe not that bad, but it's close.)

Reasons To Believe interviewed Dr. Collins a while back. His perspectives are very interesting. Although he is a theistic evolutionist, he is also obviously a very devout Christian.

I guess for me personally, Collins represents something very important - there are real opportunities for Christians to make a difference in mainstream science if we can stop being so negative and confrontational about every little thing. Christians are frequently portrayed in the media as backward and ignorant. But no one can say that about Collins. Collins is a role model for all Christian children. Consider having your child do a report about Dr. Collins. He is a modern day intellectual hero, embodying what it means to love God with our heart, soul, and MIND.

1 comment:

Atley Jonas said...

I'm shocked to hear the news! The Institute is losing one of today's finest minds. All the best to Dr. Collins in his future, however, and if he ever writes another book with the sort of quality I read in "The Language of God" I'll be first in line to buy a copy. Some day I would love to meet the man who for me finally, after many years of struggle and a degree in genetics, was able to sufficiently and so eloquently articulate not WHAT I believe, but WHY I believe it. Realizing that I share my beliefs with this man and other great thinkers like C.S. Lewis and Saint Augustine brought a real strengthening to my faith and walk with God, and I only pray that the Lord will continue to bless Dr. Collins in his future endeavors as much as He already has done so abundantly thus far.