Monday, January 7, 2008

Sad and Disappointed

I was deeply disappointed this morning to find out that our church is sponsoring a young-earth conference next month. They are even starting to push the children to attend. I got a flyer sent home in my daughter's AWANA bag about it.

My eight year old is very frustrated. At least she knows enough about the controversy not to get in a debate with her Sunday School teachers about it. But she is frustrated nonetheless. About all I could say was, "Welcome to the club." It offered little consolation for her.

Oh, and did I mention, my church is located one mile from Reasons To Believe? Sadly, the leadership won't even consider 'equal time' (or ANY time, for that matter) for old-earth creationism to be presented.

Sad, sad, sad.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

We had a similar experience about a year ago. Such talks, seminars, etc. are fairly common in churches where much of the congregation is interested in creationism. However, in this case, my father was one of the few people who ever mentioned it. No one would discuss their views with him. When someone from an organization - one that would denominationally would've been questionable - came to give a YEC talk, my father was rightly insulted. They didn't want to respond to him, so instead they got an "outsider" to preach at him! :(

Rusty said...

This is very sad. It's also extremely frustrating. When I taught a Sunday School class on evolution & creation, a few years ago, I was surprised at how many of the participants (adults) held to YEC thinking. Any arguments I made, from a scientific basis, fell on deaf ears. One person even contested my approach to, "fight bad science not with the Bible, but with good science". Her attitude was that the Bible was sufficient for, and should be the basis of, her response to natural process evolution.

Sigh.

dbmom said...

Just going around catching up on blogs. I found this disappointing. I don't think you can avoid it anymore, though. In some places it's almost becoming militant. I thought our church would at least be kind enough to remain silent on the matter but on Sunday night the AP brought it up in his sermon to show how we are supposed to stand up to anti-biblical teachings, etc. I thought it was interesting though that our Elder who works at RTB wasn't in the audience that night. I wonder if it would have been different if he was.