Monday, July 16, 2007

Homeschool Conference

Well, I had my annual cross-cultural experience this past Friday; I went to the Christian home educator's conference. It's always an interesting time. I can't even begin to describe the hodge-podge of people that go to this event.

Many of the women bring luggage carts to put all of the things they buy. I don't. I prefer to travel light. My goal is always to spend as little as possible because I could really get carried away there. The only thing I bought was a Bible quiz book for $18.

Sadly, old-earth creationists are not allowed to have booths at this particular convention. Seriously. The board has an active policy to keep groups like Reasons To Believe out. Very sad. I still choose to attend each year with the hope of finding new curriculum options for the people who ask me for recommendations.

And the good news is, I did find a new earth science curriculum: "Ring of Fire." The upside is that the textbooks don't teach flood geology, just good science. The author (Myrna Martin) avoids the problem of the young-earth/old-earth debate by just not mentioning any specific dates.

That being said, there is nothing distinctly "Christian" about this curriculum. When I asked the author about this, she said she did it that way so the books could be used in public schools. This makes a lot of practical sense because it widens her market. But some Christian parents may look at this omission as a negative.

I ordered some samples and will write up an informal review as soon as I get them in the mail.

2 comments:

Rusty said...

Sadly, old-earth creationists are not allowed to have booths at this particular convention. Seriously. The board has an active policy to keep groups like Reasons To Believe out.

Yes, this is sad to hear. I didn't realize they still censored OEC. Several of the moms in our homeschool ISP make their annual pilgrimage to the CHEA conference every July. I've attempted to interject OEC into our meetings, but am outnumbered...

Child of God said...

Rusty:

Glad you found me. The homeschool community is a tough nut to crack, no doubt. But please be praying about it. God can break through the wall. In the meantime, I am waiting on His perfect timing.