Wednesday, June 27, 2007

What's Your Question Wednesday

This week's question is from B, a mom in Vancouver, WA. She asks:
Do you know of any homeschool co-ops and/or websites besides yours that would be a good resource for homeschool science?

If you're asking me whether I know of any good old-earth oriented web sites for homeschoolers, unfortunately, the answer to this question is no. At least none that I am aware of (and I make my living looking for these kinds of resources so I would like to think that I am pretty up to speed on these things). Basically, that's why I started this blog. I was totally frustrated and wanted to find a way to do something constructive to begin to fill this gap. And I will try to bring appropriate resources to your attention as I find them.

That being said, I have thought about starting a Yahoo! discussion group on old-earth creation homeschooling where like-minded parents could interact and exchange ideas. But I have procrastinated because I'm not sure about the interest level or how to spread the word. If this sounds interesting to anyone out there, email me. Also send me your ideas.

One final thought - I'm not sure this will be of any comfort to you, but I have met and interacted with homeschoolers from all over the country and they are all pretty much in the same boat as you. They basically want three things: 1) a Christian alternative to young-earth science textbooks, 2) fellowship with other like-minded people, and 3) to help their homeschool friends get exposed to a different point of view. Although I can't share the specifics right now, I am willing to try and do whatever I can to help people achieve these three goals.

2 comments:

Dancing Boys Mom said...

The group sounds like a good idea. I share your concern about the level of interest. I don't think I know one homeschooler at our church who is "old earth."

Rusty said...

My vote is for a Google Group as I think that they now have, and will continue to have, more functionality than Yahoo!.

If you start it, I'll be there to help (I'm already giddy with excitement over what I've been finding on your site this past week).